A step by step process on how you can become a follower of Jesus Christ. This introduces you to our Lord and Savior, and puts you on the path to freedom, and eternal life..
1. Admit that God has not been first place in your life. Mark 6:12
To “repent” means to “change your mind” that leads to a change of direction. In other words, God hasn’t had first place in your life and you’re ready for change.
2. Ask God to forgive your sins. 1 John 1:9
To “confess” means to “say the same as.” We need to confess our sins to God. We need to say the same thing about the sin in our lives as what God says about the sin in our lives.
3. Believe that Jesus Christ died to pay for your sins and that He rose again, and is alive today. Romans 10:9
If we are going to “confess” Jesus, we must say the same thing about Jesus as what God the Father says about Him.
4. Accept God’s free gift of salvation, don’t try to earn it. Ephesians 2:8-9
Our relationship to God is not restored by anything we do, but on the basis of what Jesus already did for us!
5. Invite Jesus Christ to come into your life and be the Lord and Savior of your life. John 1:12
When we ask Christ to be our Savior, He saves us from the penalty of sin. By asking Christ to be our Lord, we are yielding control of our life to Him.
A suggested prayer of commitment.
Saying a few words in prayer will not “save” a person. We are saved by grace through faith. The following is simply a suggested prayer that will help you express this commitment of your heart to God through prayer.
Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for making me and loving me, even when I’ve ignored You and gone my own way. I realize I need You in my life and I’m sorry for my sins. I ask You to forgive me. I believe that You died on the cross for my sins and You rose from the grave. Thank You for dying on the cross for me. Please help me to understand it even more. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. As much as I know how, I want to trust and follow You as the Lord of my life. I commit my life to You right now. Please come into my life and make me a new person inside. I accept Your gift of salvation. Please help me to grow now as a Christian.
In Jesus Name,
If you have made this commitment to God, the Bible says, “For whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” Romans 10:13.
Where do I go from here?
After accepting Christ into your life as your personal Lord and Savior, we want to encourage you to begin a lifestyle of walking daily with God.
Here are some action steps to help you experience a continuing journey of life-change:
1. Be baptized! Baptism is the first act of obedience for new believers. Ask your Pastor or find one that will baptize you through submersion of water.
2. Spend daily time with God in prayer and Bible study. If you don’t have a Bible, please let us know at the church offices and we’ll gladly provide one for you!
3. Develop relationships and be accountable to your Christian friends. The following pages will explain how you can connect with other believers, grow in your faith, serve others, and tell others about your faith!